Monday, March 22, 2010

A day without a Facebook, day two, delayed

Well, the good news is my lack of Facebooking has led me to have more of life. Or, rather, I had more of a life yesterday and had no time to pine over the loss of social networking, so I haven't missed it as much. Actually, since I decided to give up the beast, I haven't had a full day of doing nothing with no potential plans(which is odd because I generally have no life): when this hits I may be in trouble, because that's when I rely on the book for entertainment.

The most curious thing to occur with the lack of Facebook is the number of people that think I unfriended them rather than deactivated my account. I suppose this accurately displays how much time I've wasted on Facebook: if my friends, who are my main reasons for being Facebook, feel as though I'd delete them rather than deactivate... eek. It makes me feel like doing this was all for the better.

Yesterday, rather than blogging, was spent at my undergrad college with a friend, seeing The Curse of the Starving Class by Sam Shepard; depressing play, though the actors did wonderfully well. I was catching up with friends and former professors when I mentioned my hiatus of Facebook and my creation of a blog to talk about it. My professor then said "So, you gave up one social networking for another? Makes sense." My defense: "It's working on my writing more than a status update would."

And honestly, I do feel like each day without this addiction will help me in the long run... or at least strengthen my self control and lack thereof.

"I improve on misquotation. " Cary Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment